Monday, January 30, 2012

Long ride day

 
Left the house today looking to get 100miles. Snow was falling and the temp was hovering around 32F. No worries, this should blow over. Headed out of town and at mile 10 I took the picture above. Ice was covering my brakes and the rear spoke were thickining up with ice. My feet were already soaked, not a good sign. On the bright side, there were very few people out on the paths.
At mile 20 the roads were just soaking wet, I was on a narrow road with semi's whizzing by. This should lift any time now, after all it is winter. Made it to Castle Rock and could not feel my feet so I stopped at Taco Bell to warm up and get some food(high calorie). I warmed up and headed out again. Got to the high point of the ride and realized that I had a tail wind. Unfortunately I had to change my direction and head north into the wind in about a mile.
Mile 55 I could feel the ice inside my shoes when I moved my toes around. The temp had dropped combined with the headwind, my feet felt horrible. I made it into Franktown and stopped at the gas station. Got some coffee and called the wonderful wife to come pick my fresh-frozen body up. She said she would be there shortly.
In total I got 62miles and 4000ft of climbing. Short of what I was aiming for but I feel that the ride was a success. No Regrets. Good saddle time in adverse conditions, legs felt great, heart rate average was low at 129 which corresponded with the effort and the goal of the ride. However my bike is absolutely filthy and my toes still hurt. Se la Vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment