Monday, February 6, 2012

Fruita in Feb

Left Denver and its 2 feet of snow on Saturday morning headed west to find some single track. The snow got lighter as I got higher in the mountains, go figure. After the Vail valley there was very little snow and the sky was blue. The above picture is after we rode looking east. I met Mel, JP and a friend of JP's Tim at the trailhead. It felt great to be on the MTB. The trails are dry and tacky. I did 28 miles and 3300ft of elevation gain. I felt awesome. Max HR was 170 going up a trail called shoots and ladders, very steep. Mel had already ridden 22miles by the time I got there so he had 50 total. JP was somewhere in between.

Looking west after the ride we viewed this sunset. Could it be any better? Yes, Mel had 4 cold beers.

Day two we rode out at the Loma exit on the Kokopelli Trail. We rode only about 21miles but still 3300feet of elevation gain. Steep up and steep down. I was riding well until I had a rash of flats. 3 total. One was a slow leaker(I only had a 29er tube so Mel gave me his tube), one was horrible technique on my part and the last was a blown patch. Tim gave me his last tube and then I was fine. Lots of 1-2feet steps up and down which I rode most all of them. I felt really strong and mostly good tech on the bike. This picture is of JP and Mel climbing out of the canyon. JP has that sweet "Orange Peel Cyclery" wool jersey on.


 Scott-If you are reading, This is what you wear in 40deg weather. Got too toasty though in the upper 40's.

PS-Ordered new tires to go back to a tubeless system.

No comments:

Post a Comment