Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cape Epic, and other thoughts.

The Cape Epic, the race I am currently training for, is a race in South Africa on mountain bikes. It starts in Cape town and travels around the mountains from town to town, through some vinyards, and through some land preserves that are only open for this event. The web site  Cape Epic has some great video and pictures if you want to spend some time checking it out. The total route distance is 500miles with a total elevation gain of 50000ft, covered over 8 days.  Each day is different. The first day is a 16mile time trial to help determine our place in the starting chute the next day. There will be 1200 racers so this is very important.
The race crew moves our belongings and tents while we are racing, and sets up a race village (tent city) at the new destination.  They feed us each day, morning and night, and have aid stations on the course. All I have to do is get from point A to point B as quickly as I can.
Racers can spend all year training for something like this. I have/had 2.5 months. I was looking at the calender last night and realized that I have 3weeks until I get on the plane. (I will be racing in South Africa in a month). My plan was very organized at the beginning of this time frame but life cant be expected to follow a specific course. I was going to put in some large miles the first three weeks in January, take a rest week then get some more large miles in the first weeks of February then another rest week. March theoretically is the same but the race is the last week so, The first two weeks will be big miles then the week before the race will be just spinning to keep the legs fresh but not enough to build fatigue. 
So how has it gone so far? January in Colorado is not always cooperative, if one likes to ski or bike. I did get some great miles in, some in beautiful weather and some in, ummm, adverse weather conditions. February I got less miles in but still am happy with the volume. I got some excellent mileage in on the MTB. Side note---I have been riding a mountain bike for 22 years and spring it is a shock to get on the MTB after riding on the road bike.  Its so demanding of power and determination, skill and focus. Dont get me wrong, I love the road bike and it has challenges too but, dang sis.
I hope to get 40miles in today which will bring my totals for the year up to 940miles. It looks to be warming up now with no wind so maybe I will head out now.
Thank you everybody for reading and the words of encouragement. It helps when I am on the bike and need a little extra for focus.  Enjoy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment