Saturday, April 16, 2016

Honduras part ?

Well, I think it's Saturday. It was 95 deg here and snowing in Denver. We completed 19 surgeries today with 4 bilateral knees, so if my math is correct is 23 joints. Dr Dennis, el jefe, showed me and explained alot of the x-rays. It's amazing what these surgeons do for these patients. The farmers surgery went well and he was excited to get back to walking pain free. He compared his knee to a new car!

The people here are extremely grateful for the opportunity. They constantly say thanks. It's very difficult to put into words, the interactions with the patients are,..... Each one of these patients could be my abuelita, or abuelo.

The interpretors that are in the hospital with us are great as well. I have learned so much from them and the patients about speaking Spanish. Even the non English speakers come up to me and start talking away, and we work it out. I try so hard. So here is something, talking to some body is Spanish is one thing, talking Spanish to somebody in Spanish whose mouth is dry, they don't have there dentures in, and they are under the effects of anesthesia is an entirely different thing altogether.!

I am having difficulty uploading pics so one pic, maybe two here..

First a bunch of the people from opwalk and locals, 2. PT in outdoors, 3. Dr Dennis talking to a haemophilia pt before surgery. Great story there. I met this guy in clinic.

Thanks for reading.
Craig RN

No comments:

Post a Comment